Rees and I got to spend 3 days in the Cascades, just fifteen miles outside of Leavenworth - just the two of us - recently. It was so much fun! It was the first time we've spent that much time away from the kids (with the exception of Rees' hospitalization in Dushanbe - but I wouldn't call that a get-away or enjoyable). We got to the B&B just in time for a major storm to hit. We ended up getting 2 1/2 - 3 ft (close to a meter) of snow within the first 36 hours we were there. The B&B, Pine River Ranch, provided us with snow shoes and we shuffled through the property while it snowed. I had three inches of snow on my hat by the time we returned. Ironically, the power went out the second day we were there and remained out til we left. Much like our "normal" life in Tajikistan. We instinctively located the candles, lantern and filled the bath tub with water (thinking that in such a remote place, the water may come up via a pump that wouldn't work without power). Thankfully, the gas fireplace still worked. The owner was wondering to himself how they were going to flush all the toilets (because, indeed the water wasn't working). Rees told him that we were leaving a bathtub full of water and he said, "how did you know to do that?" Oh how to explain?
We are accustomed to shamelessly looking for places to charge our phone and computer so we brought our electronics with us wherever we went and managed to almost watch a whole movie before our computer died. We charged it more in the morning when we went to breakfast and finished the movie in the truck in the Safeway parking lot :)
Suffice it to say, Rees and I still really like each other. Getting away is such a good reminder of that.
Thanks to Nan for watching the kids while we were away. No easy task but she was still on two feet with a smile on her face when we got home.
 |
| Leavenworth. I've loved seeing this little Bavarian town dressed up for Christmas since I was a kid. |
 |
| We saw how hard it was snowing but we were a little surprised at how quickly our truck ended up like this. |
 |
| After no more than an hour of snow-shoeing. |
 |
| I've always loved driving on highway 2 in the winter. So beautiful. |
 |
| We managed to return home with a truck-bed still full of snow. The kids built snowmen in it. |
No comments:
Post a Comment