Saturday, January 29, 2011
Can't help feeling giddy
For the first time in I don't know how long, I feel giddy. I've already been to visit 4 families today and now both of my kids went down for naps AT THE SAME TIME. Rees is out visiting with a friend and I'm home alone in an already clean house. I've actually turned out all the lights and am pretending to not be home (sometimes you have to do that but even then if someone is convinced I'm home and just not answering they'll still knock non-stop for 5 minutes before giving up :) Some may think this is hardly a reason to be giddy but I can't stop this happy feeling from bubbling up from inside me. I think most moms can understand. It's really hard, sometimes it seems impossible, to find a little quiet alone time. I thrive on quiet time to myself. Just ask my husband a few hours from now and he'll describe a different woman than the wife he saw before he left. I have a dear friend here, inspiring woman actually, who lives in grand-central station for women and neighbors visiting and who also home schools her 5 children. She says herself that she thrives on chaos and loves cooking for 20+ people. Isn't that amazing? I manage chaos, or maybe more accurately I survive chaos but the idea of thriving on it is a wonder to me. Laura, you know I could only be talking about you. I'm so thankful that there are people like Laura in this world - particular in Kurganteppa, Tajikistan. That said, I'm also thankful for these wonderful moments that I get to be in a quiet, peaceful house w/o any nagging thoughts about who I haven't visited or what needs to be cleaned. Sure, there are multiple loads of dirty laundry to do and other things I probably "should" do but in this moment, I am basking in the peace of letting all that go and soaking up a bit of time to myself. I say this knowing that someday my kids will be grown, out of the house and maybe I'll think it's too quiet but for now I'm the mom of small kids and appreciate every quiet moment I can get. I read an interesting statistic recently that on average, preschoolers make 3 demands/requests a minute - a MINUTE. Just food for thought :) Here's to hoping that you all get a peaceful moment today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment